June 14, 2011

More than a label

Several weeks ago I posted about my "labeled" kids.  I shared about each one and the challenges we face as a family.  I've been thinking it's time to share how they are all more than a label.  They are my blessings and bring great joy to my life.

My daughter, the ladybug, is a very kind, caring, and empathetic young lady.  I honestly think all her anxieties and struggles have helped her to understand where many of her peers are coming from.  She is fiercely protective of her friends, especially if another child is teasing them.  She comforts others who are in need.  For the last two years, Ladybug has asked for food donations, for those in need, instead of gifts for her birthday.  I am often amazed at the young woman she is becoming.

My oldest son, the monkey, is also very kind, helpful, and loving.  He joined his school's mentoring program at the beginning of the school year.  Currently he is mentoring a younger student who also has ADHD.  He is always quick to help younger children when they are struggling.  Monkey is also always ready with a hug or a kind word to anyone who is feeling sad.  I am so proud of his nurturing ways.

At seven my youngest son, the potato, is still growing into the person he will become.  He is a goofball and loves to make you smile.  He also really looks up to his brother and tries to follow Monkey's example.  Potato is a cuddler, he'll climb right up and snuggle in next to you.

These are the things I try to remind myself of when we are having one of "Those" days.  It helps me to focus on the joys they bring into my life.  We take each day as it comes, the good and the bad.  I tell them how much they are loved and how proud they should be of themselves.  Sometimes I mess up, especially when I'm having a bad day myself.  Then I go back and apologize for the hurt I may have caused them.  I'm thankful I can be a part of their growing process.  I'm even thankful for their "labels", because each child is unique and their experiences help mold them into the person they are becoming.

~Your Earthy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment