June 2, 2011

Children, Book of Shadows ideas

As a family we have a family Book of Shadows.  We keep our favorite Sabbat's stories, recipes, and traditions in it.  Each of my children have their own binder with age appropriate pages.  I make or print pictures to color, crosswords, word searches for them.  Also I'll add information I think they'll like or learn something from.  I try and keep these fun and low key.  My boys (being younger) really have alot of fun coloring, doing activities, and reading with me.  My daughter (a teenager) at this point isn't as interested in the "fun stuff", so I've had to get more creative.

Several weeks ago I was reading a post by Mrs. B that really peeked my interest.  She has a BOS that she passes back and forth with her child.  I knew right away that my Ladybug would love the idea of us sharing a notebook full of information.  We just started at the beginning of this week, so it definitely still a work in progress.  She even asked me this morning "Mommy, when are you going to write in our book again?"  (And yes my teen actually still calls me Mommy)  It was just too sweet.  I'll have to post again once we get things more solid. 

Several months ago, Ladybug borrowed my book To Ride a Silver Broomstick, by Silver RavenWolf.  I was curious how her reading was going, since she hadn't been asking very many questions lately.  She informed me that, this past month of school she's been very busy and hasn't had time to read anything that isn't school work.  I can't even begin to tell you how pleased I am that she puts her school work first!  But I'm also kind of sad that she hasn't had time to pursue other things.  We chatted and came up with a plan.  School will be over in two and a half weeks, with lots of free time in the summer.  We are going to start the book from the beginning together.  Writing and sharing our thoughts about what we're reading.  I'm looking forward to this special time Ladybug and I have carved out of the day for each other.  With the size of our family, sometimes she and my stepdaughter get looked over too often.  I think it's because they are growing into independent young women, who don't want their parents hovering.

~Your Earthy Mom

4 comments:

  1. That's great that you have such a close relationship with your daughter! I'm a bit envious as my mom and I aren't that close. I love my momma, but she's rather intimidating. ^_^

    Best wishes to you and your daughter and helping her pursue her journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I hadn't thought of doing a BoS for the family. I never was very good at keeping one for myself but I know that Hubby would really appreciate. Though I know it'd be on me to manage, lol. As for your little ones have you heard of Rupert's Tales? We just started reading this with my 3 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earthy MomJune 02, 2011

    Velody,
    I hadn't heard of Rupert's Tales before. I think my youngest would really like the book. I think I'll have to buy it now.
    I was never very good at keeping up with my own BOS either. Our family BOS is alot of fun to work on by myself or with my children, so it's pretty easy to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hailey Marie
    I don't have a very close relationship with my mom either. (We have grown a little closer as I've gotten older.) One of the things I made sure I have with my own children is that closeness. I've always let them know, that I'm here always for anything they need.

    ReplyDelete