August 1, 2012

M is for The Morrigan

Letterbox carving/stamp of The Morrigan
from the Warrior Women II postal
The Morrigan was the shape-shifting Celtic Goddess of War, Fate, and Death.  Her name is interpreted in various forms..."Great Queen", "Phantom Queen", or "Queen of Demons."  She was said to hover over battlefields in the form of a raven or hooded crow.  She frequently foretold or influenced the outcome of a battle.  The Celts believed that, as they engaged in warfare, the Morrigan flew shrieking overhead in the form of a raven or carrion crow, summoning a host of slain soldiers to a macabre spectral bane.  When the battle had ended, the warriors would leave the field until dawn in order that the Morrigan could claim the trophies of heads, euphemistically known as "The Morrigan's acorn crop".

~Earthy Mom

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post! I consider raven to be my power animal. I don't work much with the Celtic pantheon but I think this post is a sign that I should start.

    I also wanted to let you know that I’ve nominated you for two blog awards! http://www.thedomesticpagan.net/2012/08/iblog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete