December 26, 2012

Blessed Yule

We had a wonderful Yule celebration this year.  The kids were slightly disappointed that we celebrated on Saturday instead of Friday.  But my husband and I didn't have the time available to take off from work.  And truly the most important part is that we celebrated the solstice together as a family.

Friday night we read a story about the Solstice and put on our matching pjs.  Very early Saturday morning my husband and I woke up the kids to drive over to the beach and watch the sunrise.  This is a tradition we started before I had my youngest.  Some years watching the sunrise can be such a beautiful and amazing sight.  This year there were alot of clouds in the sky so we didn't get to see much.  Of course it was fun to start out in the dark and have it get lighter little by little.  We wrote messages of love, hope, and happiness in the sand.  My youngest made a picture of a candle, because all flames are part of the Sun.  After the sunrise we always take the kids to Dunkin Donuts to warm up with a cup of hot cocoa (and some coffee for the grownups). 



After warming up, we headed home for some good ol' fashion present opening.  I must pat myself and my husband on the back this year.  We were amazing shoppers.  The kids were very happy with everything they received.  The boys absolutely Love the Skylanders Giants game. And Ladybug was the most pleased.  She now has a life-sized cardboard cut-out of Niall!  I know so exciting, right!  And every time I walk by "him", I get scared because I think it's a real boy looking at me.  She delights in torturing me.

And that was the last calm moment of the day.


My husband had to help his mother move from the hospital (she had pneumonia) to a rehab facility.  And I had lots of baking and cooking to do for our family dinner.  Not to mention cleaning because my in-laws were going to come for dinner too.  My youngest helped me bake three delicious cranberry breads and a Yule log.  The two boys help clean up and put away new toys, while playing with them of course.  Ladybug just laided on the couch most of the time, because she is still working on getting over the flu.

The night did go off as a success!  My in-laws didn't make it (step-mom in-law has the flu too).  We moved the feast up to my parents' house so my Grandma and Mom could eat with us.  My sister and her boyfriend showed up.  It was just so wonderful to spend the evening with family, talking, laughing, and enjoying each other's company.

For me that is the most important part of the holiday season.  Family and Friends.  I am so Blessed.

~Earthy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment