December 30, 2013

Sweet Sixteen


3 years old

Sweet sixteen
Where has the time gone?

My first born turned sixteen this month.  It's hard for me to believe that I am the mom of a smart, caring, and beautiful young woman. 

I didn't plan to have her, but she has been one of the best surprises in my life.  We have gone through good times and bad times together; hard times and easy times.  I wouldn't change anything for the world.  I've loved helping and watching her grow into the young woman she is.  And as much as I say I'm counting down the days till she turns eighteen and moves out, I'm not ready to let her go.

Ladybug,

     I love you with all of my heart.  I am so lucky to have you as my daughter.  From the first time I held you I have been blessed to be your mom.  I have made plenty of mistakes and just as many good choices in these past sixteen years.  I'm proud to be your mom.  And I'm proud of all you have accomplished. 
     You can be the most driven person I know.  When you want something you go after it with everything you have.  I hope that you continue to be motivated and work hard for what you want.  Please try not to get too upset when what you are focused on doesn't work out the way you had planned.  Part of growing up and living life is learning to be flexible.  Use the next couple years to take chances.  Now is the time to do it, so when you go off to college you will have the experiences from your teen years to guide you.  We will be here for you if you fall and help you figure out how to get back on your feet again.  Continue to care for others.  You can be so thoughtful of other peoples needs.
     You are a very beautiful young woman.  Just the way you are.  The makeup and clothes you like help enhance your beauty, but aren't necessary.  Right now I know that you don't believe me when I say this.  But I'm hoping one day you will.  Your beauty doesn't just come from how you look, it comes from within you.  It's part of every thing you do.
Silly face girl
     I love your laughter.  You make me smile when we are joking around and when you make your silly faces.  I love your thirst for knowledge.  I even love listening to you tell me about all you have learned.  You bring joy and happiness to my life and I couldn't imagine what life would be like with out you.
     Patience is one of two things you need to work on.  I know that it is hard to learn.  I am not a patient person either.  Even when it is hard to wait for something you want, try to remember it will come.  It will come because of All that you do to work for it.  And if it doesn't then you need to learn acceptance.  Accept that some things don't work out.  But that new opportunities are always out there for you.
     I will always love you.  My hope for the next few years is to help you continue to learn and grow.  Together we have done a pretty amazing job!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment