March 2, 2012

Pagan Blog Project ~ D is for Dreams

 Dreams can be very powerful.  They help your subconscious unwind at the end of the day.  They are what you are striving for in your life.  Messages can even be found in your dreams. 

When I was in my late teens, I started doing dream work with my therapist, Pat.  I was having recurring nightmares
about being kidnapped and raped. 
Most likely because I had been date raped at sixteen and had made myself forget what had happened.  (The mind is a very powerful thing).  At the time I had been working with Pat, to remember, because it was causing my depression.
The nightmares were so powerful.  I couldn't stop what was happening; I couldn't wake up.  Our first step was to teach myself to recognize that it was a dream.  From there Pat helped me to learn how to either change the dream or wake up.
 I became curious about working with dreams after Pat helped me with my nightmares.  I wondered could I "control" other dreams, could I "make" myself dream about something specific, or use my dreams to help me with decisions in my life?  What I found is yes those things are possible.  When I have an important life decision to make I have used my dreams to help me find the best path.  It hasn't always worked out the way I thought it would.

I remember one time when I thought my dream work hadn't worked at all.  About seven years ago when I was deciding to leave my now ex-husband.  I knew it was the right decision, but I needed more guidance.  During that same time my sister was debating about purchasing her first house.  A couple days after I had been doing my dream work she gave me a call.  She had the strangest dream and she wanted to share it with me.  In her dream we were both pregnant.  Something very disturbing to her, since she didn't want any children.  We talked and I assured her that it didn't mean she was Actually pregnant, but that often what we see in our dreams have a hidden meaning.  It was time for us both to make a big life changing decision.  So I left my ex and she bought her house.


Weyakin Designs
This Amazing art reminds me of dreaming.

This is how I do my Dream work.


I get my self all comfy in my bed.  I generally lay on my back, because I've found that's the best way to do deep breathing and relaxing.  I start at my toes and work my way up to my head relaxing my body.  While I'm relaxing my body I do deep breathing and think about what I want from my dreams and ask the dream spirits for guidance.  I've found that because I'm becoming so relaxed that often my mind wanders.  When it does I just bring my thoughts back to what I want to focus on.  Also since I'm a side sleeper, I find that just before I drift off to sleep I'll roll over to my side.  The most important thing is to keep your thoughts focused on what you want to dream about, what you need help with.  It's also important to remember that dreams are your subconscious way of talking to you.  What you do or see in them is usually a sign for something else, remember the pregnancies from my sister's dream. 

It also takes time and practice to work with your dreams.  Here's some ideas to help you.
  • Keep a notebook by your bed.  As soon as you wake start writing what you remeber from a dream.  This will help you with rembering your dreams.
  • Stay relaxed.  Working with dreams can't be forced.
  • Pick up some books about the meanings of dreams.  This will begin to help you understand your dreams.
  • Work with your regular dreams.  Change something or choose a different path than where the dream is taking you.  It's kind of like a muscle the more you use it the better you get.
  • Take time out for a good nights sleep.  I've found that if I'm doing alot of dream work I'm exhausted.  Your mind and body need to relax too.
~Earthy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment