January 18, 2012

Working towards #1

A few weeks ago I posted about how I'd like to make 2012 a better year.  Here's how I'm working on achieving want #1.

I don't have very much free time.  It's just a fact.  3 kids (full time), homework, kid activities, my jobs, and house work all take up a significant portion of my day.


I've started using the driving time to and from activities to give each kid some alone time with me.  Before we used to listen to the radio or they'd play their ds games.  Now I'm turning down/off the radio and getting  the kids talking.  It's great to hear about their day or just the thoughts that pop into their heads.  I've been spending some great 1 on 1 time them, and they're more willing to share and talk without a sibling listening in.

When I was a teen , I used to hate that my mom made us all sit down together for a family dinner every night.  Now I think my mom was a genus!  I do family dinner every night I can.  It's a great time to spend with my family.  We give everyone (kids and adults) a chance to talk about their day or something else on their mind.  This also helps teach the kids how to listen when someone else is talking.  I'm hoping they are learning good conversation skills.

We used to have a family game night every weekend, especially since the youngest loves board games.  Sadly I have let the business of our lives take away family game night.  I'm planning on getting it rolling again this weekend.  The only challenge is finding games that everyone can play and enjoy, with kids ages ranging from 14-7.  I know it can be done.

Anyone have creative and fun ways to get in special time with their children?

~Earthy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment