January 20, 2012

Pagan Blog Project ~ B is for Brigid

Brigid - a stamp I made for a Goddess
letterbox series.
I'm a little late in starting this project, but then that's the story of my life.  Perhaps it was meant for me to start with the letter B, since Brigid is one of my favorite Goddesses. 
I'm not completely sure why I've felt drawn to Brigid, so I thought I'd take this time to get to know her better.  One of the biggest reasons
 I feel drawn to Brigid is my Grandma.  For as long as I can remember she has had a straw-woven St. Brigit's cross.  I was very excited to receive my very own Brigid's cross.  My Grandmother and parent's got it for my when the traveled to Ireland.  Perhaps being brought up a Catholic it was easier for me to feel close to a Goddess who was turned into a saint.


My Brigid's cross from Ireland
 Brigid was the great mother Goddess of Ireland.  Having an Irish heritage probably draws me to her.  My Grandma is very proud of our Irish heritage, so I've always felt it's importance.

Brigid is worshipped as a warrioress, protector, healer, guardian of children, creativity, and agriculture Goddess.  Many of those things also draw me to her.  I am fiercely protective of my children.  There is nothing I wouldn't do for any of them.  I also love my job working at a prek-k school with children who have special needs or behavioral issues.  I am drawn to lots of different creative +outlets.  Writing is obvious, but I also enjoy scrapbooking, letterboxing, and singing (you don't want to listen to it though.)
As I get to know and work with Brigid more she may assist me with healing magick I use on my children or growing my vegetable garden.

At Kildare, Ireland a group of priestesses kept her sacred flame.  One of her sacred wells is also at Kildare.  She is still worshiped here as St. Brigit.  You can often find ribbons tied to trees by her well from those that ask for Brigid's assistance. 
A Prayer to Brigid

Bride of the earth,
sister of the faeries,
daughter of the Tuatha de Danaan,
keeper of the eternal flame.
In autumn, the nights began to lengthen,
and the days grew shorter,
as the earth went to sleep.
Now, Brighid stokes her fire,
burning flames in the hearth,
bringing light back to us once more.
Winter is brief, but life is forever.
Brighid makes it so.
~Earthy Mom

Referances:
about.com

No comments:

Post a Comment