May 2, 2012

Amazing Angel Avery

Photo of Avery from her blog averycan.blogspot.com
Recently I began reading a blog by a beautiful 5 month old baby girl, named Avery.  Up until two days ago she was living her life to the fullest and crossing items off her bucket list. 
Avery has SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) a genetic disease that is the number one killer of infants & children under the age of 2.  Until I found Avery I had never heard of SMA.  I could go into detail about the disease, but I think Avery does an amazing job telling about it here on her blog.


Quote from Avery
"Imagine you've been diagnosed with an incurable genetic disease and you are told you will not only lose your ability to walk and move your arms, but you will die between now and the next 18 months. What would you do? My name is Avery Lynn Canahuati, I'm almost 5 months old, and this has become my reality. But before I die, there's a few things I'd like to accomplish...this is my bucket list and my story."
I spent several hours reading and falling in love with this little girl and her family.  They are truly courageous people.  Avery's family made everyday count for her.  What she accomplished in just a couple months is more than most could, with help from her mom, dad, family, friends, and even strangers.
I hope that if my family had a child with SMA that we could be a strong and courageous as Avery's family is.  That we could make each day count, knowing there is only a short number of days left. 
Little Avery has not only made the most of her short life, but she has truly reached out and touched others lives.  How can your heart not go out to a smile and story like hers.  I hope that she continues to touch hearts and spread awareness about SMA.
To read more about Avery check out her blog.

I have been reminded of a very important life lesson from this little Angel.  Life is precious and you never know how long you'll get, so make the most of each and everyday.

~Earthy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment