Think about what popular candles are made from.
- They are made of paraffin wax, a byproduct of petroleum. When burned, this candle wax can be a respiratory irritant.
- Scented candles typically get their aromas from artificial fragrances made with phthalates, which can affect the hormonal system. They also release toxic chemicals (such as formaldehyde and benzene – both of which are linked to cancer) into the air. These toxins may trigger or aggravate asthma and allergies, and may cause headaches.
- Some candles have metal core wicks made of lead or lead-containing alloys. When burned, they may emit airborne lead and present a lead poisoning hazard to young children. Lead is toxic to a baby's brain. These candles are now banned in the United States but may still be found rolling around in drawers, and imported candles may still have wicks with lead.
Hope you enjoy these wonderful holiday aromas as much as we do.